(Last document update 12th November 2019)
NOTE: the Change Log (the list of fixes and changes after the first open beta) is at the end of this document.
What is new in Mistika Ultima and Mistika Boutique v8.10
This version does not support Suse 11 OS anymore. Linux systems using that OS will need to migrate to CentOS 7.4. (Meanwhile, the support for Windows and Mac operating system versions does not change. It is currently supported on Windows 10, macOS High Sierra and Mojave)
Using NVidia boards with this version require recent NVidia drivers, from June 2019 or later. If you experience problems after the upgrade this should be the first point to check
New features in Mistika Ultima / Mistika Boutique v8.10 (Compared to Mistika v8.8)
A small introduction to the main features of v8.10 is available in this video:
IMAGE FORMATS AND CODECS
Dolby Vision support. Given HDR images color graded for an HDR display, this system permits to produce other versions for SDR target displays and for HDR target displays of a inferior NITS capability.
With this system the target versions can be created and adjusted interactively in Mistika, and then exported as metadata files in Dolby Vision XML format.
Both hardware CMU (eCMU) and internal software CMU (iCMU) are supported.
In the Mistika side, the Dolby Vision integration plugin comes with the Mistika distribution, but it requires a Dolby license to activate it (which needs to be obtained directly from Dolby). Without this license the basic parts of the Dolby software will still work, but not the advanced features like the TRIM capabilities (the exact features that will be activated depend on Dolby, so they can not be documented here)
The Mistika manual for Dolby Vision usage is here: Mistika workflows for Dolby Vision
And a video tutorial using Dis here: Dolby Vision video tutorial
Arri decoder improved support for ".ari" files, and new support for ".arx" files. Also, the Arri official decoder is now supported on Windows (previously only on Linux and Mac, while Windows was only working with Mistika own decoder, which is now deprecated ). Now the Windows decoder also supports both modes, GPU and CPU.
New support for Prores encoded mxf from Avid systems.
New support for rendering to Avid DNxHR format
Improved support for XAVC format
New NVIDIA "cudanew" decoding for RED R3D formats, up to several times faster depending on the system:
This format has been accelerated in several ways, including a new GPU decoding mode developed by RED (Cuda-new) and new Mistika special optimizations for it.
The old decoding modes are still working (they can be selected in the Mistika Config -> Codecs -> RED section) . Use them if your GPU does not support the Cuda-new mode
Cuda-new is supported on Linux and Windows (at the date of this document Apple does not support Cuda decoding).
Cuda-new requires a modern NVidia board with more than 3GB of graphics memory (but 8 GB or more are highly recommended) . Chose a different decoding mode if you experience decoding failures (typically shown as chequerboard). Also make sure to install the latest NVidia drivers, otherwise Cuda-new may fail with similar symptoms (checkerboard images) or it can failover to other decoding modes.
Configuration instructions: For more details please read the Codecs->RED->GPU decoder type section at the beginning of this document: How to speed up RED R3D workflows (improving playback and render performance for r3d codec)
Several image quality improvements, mainly for HDR production but also noticeable in other workflows. This version has received general improvements in image quality by introducing more advanced math, improved bit depth, better precision and anti banding algorithms across many areas of the application. In addition, some effects that were not supporting 16 bit images have been updated to support 16 bit (Contrast Band, Band Dither, Enhance, Outlines, and Posterize)
Conforming from Premiere is now possible also against shots with multiple and variable frame rates.
Improved conform in general, with more situations supported and improved accuracy in general.
Support for Blackmagic video boards on Mistika Boutique.
This new version add support for Blackmagic Decklink boards (in addition to traditional Aja boards).
Supported video modes on Blackmagic boards: Support YUV422 10bit modes up to 4K / UHD 60p.
RGB444 video modes are NOT supported for Blackmagic boards in current version.
Video capture is not supported for Blackmagic boards, only playback.
Stereo 3D dual link is supported up to 4K / UHD (for video boards with that capabilities.
New Subtitle interface. It appears when loading a subtitle file into the Timeline, and it provides all the common options to configure the subtitles before adding them to the Timeline
Support for Digital Vision Precision panel on Mistika Boutique (for Windows and Mac, previously it was only available for Linux)
Support for user remaping of Tangent panels, by sing the Tangent software directly.
Integration with external render farms (Smedge, Deadline,...). Trough the new configurable button Output->Render->Add to queue. Permits to submit render jobs to external render managers, or to send the rnd files to user scripts for customized export workflows (Note: At the date of this document Smedge support is finished, and also the Mistika side of Deadline integration. But Thinkbox still have to release the Deadline plugin for Mistika. Please ask support if you need beta access).
Automatic Path translation. Each Mistika system maintains a configuration file with path substitution pairs, so now they can find the same media under different mount points, even if the systems have different operating systems (Linux / Windows / Mac.) You can edit the path translation file manually, or simply tell Mistika to remember your path translation decisions when using the relink tool.
The path equivalences are stored in a json file (which is local to each system)
This file is automatically updated with your relink decisions made on each system, so in normal circumstances no manual configuration should be required
Mistika software folder structure reorganization, for a better integration with the rest of the Mistika product line (using same base folders under a coherent structure. all under the SGO Apps & SGO AppData folders). For a more detailed description please check this article
The "shared" folder (SGO AppData/shared) which contains all the shareable user settings can now be shared between all Mistika products and also between different systems . This folder is now definable in Mistika Config (mConfig) not only for Mistika Ultima but also for Mistika Boutique. So it can be shared in a network drive to share user settings like the format presets, render targets, LUTS, user hotkeys, display filters, etc.
Several bugs from previous versions are fixed. (the list below will only mention bugs officially reported by users, some other bugs found on internal tests are also fixed but they not appear in this list). Some minor change requests (not strictly "bugs") also appear in this list
Change Log (list of fixes and changes in version 8.10 since the first beta version)
Note: During the beta stage not all the bug fixes were documented here, only the most relevant ones (mainly the ones pending from previous major release). After the v8.10 final release all bug fixes fixed in maintenance releases will appear documented below.
Bug fixes on v8.10 open beta 7th August:
- 2153 Improved Stereo 3D Dual link when outputting to UHD/4K resolutions in MacOS version.
- 2313 ‘Use Insta360Pro calibrate’ option in the VR Stitch effect is now working properly.
- 2402 Mute button in Window Tab when using Tangent Panels is now working correctly.
- 2296 Improved importing of AAFs with Sapphire Effects in Default Configuration.
- 2297 Improved importing of AAFs with Sapphire Effects with the Import unsupported effects parameter activated.
- 2418 Fixed compositing with Comp3D effect.
- 2305 Fixed Vector Paint working with Alpha Channel.
- 2306 Added Time Editor shape parameters in Vector Paint.
- 2310 Shortcuts added for bypass function in the Node Graph.
- 2387 Floating window now shows accordingly to display resolution.
- 2437 Exporting EDL, EDL 2, filename and saving the file now working properly.
- 1964 When exporting EDL2 now use correct Record Timecode.
- 2434 Improved behaviour of DNG raw files in Color and Framing.
- 2407 Fixed rendering of DPX clips.
- 2341 Improved behaviour of Paths while importing media.
- 2379 Second Video Output from S3D live mode to Dual Link now working properly.
- 2206 EDL 2 STC export issue fixed.
- 2426 Improved functionality of the CPL when preparing DCPs.
- 2328 Fixed rendering to ProRes 444.
- 2423 Support for ProRes on MXF files working properly now.
- 2397 TC now set correctly in DPX clips.
- 2417 Fixed TC reading Avid MXF files.
- 2239 Relink of image sequences when conforming XMLs now working correctly.
- 2441 TC display in Global timecode ruler (in Time space) now working properly.
- 2211 Improved when loading Canon decoder.
Bug fixes on v8.10 beta 19th September:
- Added support for Stereo3D dual link output on Blackmagic boards (Mistika Boutique)
- Display filters fixed.
- FX Presets fixed
- The shared folder works correctly, the user can chose any preferred folder for this
v8.10 beta 30th September
Arri decoder (.ari files) improved support. The Arri official decoder is now supported on Windows (previously only on Linux and Mac, while Windows was only working with Mistika own decoder. The windows decoder support both GPU and CPU modes.
- 2412 OFX plugins are now shown properly in the FX Tab.
- 2457 The “Modify Clip” attributes option in media file browser now works correctly in Windows.
- 2472 CP 2000 Tangent mapping added.
- 1735 Group navigation working properly now.
- 2481 Fixed RGBA to RGB conversion for specific horizontal resolutions.
- 2463 Fixed Playback of some particular audio wav files.
- 2458 R3D partial restore relinking working properly now even when the first segment is missing.
- 2005 Trim and Ungroup functionality working correctly when conforming AAF.
- 2502 Fixed Precision Panel labels.
- 2499 Fixed banding issue on macOS.
- 2478 When creating a Display Filter it appears correctly in the Display Filter menu.
- 2475 Edit attributes appearing correctly when a selection tool is used.
- 2470 Fixed relinking behaviour with image sequences.
- 2498 Expanded render naming options.
- 2217 ACES-ODT node working properly on macOS.
- 2479 Export EDL2 naming option now available.
v8.10 Release (11th November)
- The latest ARRI, Sony, Canon and RED SDK supported.
- The FX Filter: Contrast Band FX, Band Dither FX, Enhance FX, Outlines FX and The Posterize FX now working at 16 bits.
- 2495 Improved functionality of rendering to XAVC format
- 2503 Conforming from Premiere is now possible also against shots with multiple and variable frame rates.
- 2543 Fixed Geometry of the Vector Paint window.
- 2542 Fonts can now be reloaded properly in a new installation.
- 2308 Customs Presets can now be modified in mConfig.
- 2537 Now the correct metadata is generated when rendering in Drop Frame.
- 2292 Canon debayer now working properly.
- 2287 Fixed behaviour of Sony RAW Parameters when changing the Source Gamut.
- 1480 Unicolor functionality working properly within Display Filter.
- 2474 Fixed behaviour of creating textures with Vector paint Effect at 20K x 20K resolution.
- 2385 Exporting JS YUV10p to TIFF 8 bit working properly.
- 2522 Conforming an XML from Premiere now works properly in Mistika.
- 2512 Display Filters associated to presets working correctly.
- 2443 Fixed Error Message when importing in a specific way
- 2527 Fixed Playback cache in Windows.
- 2517 Fixed framing issue when working with Sony Venice footage in the macOS version.
- 2531 Filter Effects being loaded properly now.
- 1858 Socket Color Feature now showing the colors properly.
- 2482 New fonts can now be reloaded.
- 2444 Improved import process of the media to the node graph.
- 2303 Fixed rendering to ProRes and 16 channels.
- 2530 Sony OCN files can now also be loaded in the macOS version.
- 2518 The “Load Params Tool” now working correctly with Canon files in the macOS.
- 2523 Roundtrip workflow between Premiere in Mistika now possible.
- 2526 Mistika is now able to find a proper path for the Display Filters folder.
- 2514 P. Cache directory is now created correctly in the first installation.
- 2515 Fixed error when Playback cache directory is not set properly in mConfig. Error: Unable to open Xfs file for writing.
- 2288 Sony RAW Params Effect now loads properly all the parameters.
- 2504 Fixed Conforming from .rnd file on HFR.
- Drag and Drop functionality doesn’t work correctly in macOS Catalina due to an issue in QT libraries.